*I have a new site! You will be redirected to it in 5 seconds!

Emergency Fund



0 comments

My boyfriend has quite a bit of money saved up, and I had the comfort of knowing that should an emergency arise, he'd be there to help me. We're practically married anyways. He insists that his money is our money. I believed him, and threw my savings into my student loans. 

But recently, I had a conversation with one of my good friends. He dated a lady for two years and went broke. She was suspiciously unemployed the duration of the relationship, but was adorned with designer bags and taken on lavish vacations. When he ran out of money he resorted to credit. When he got stuck in credit debt she conveniently decided she didn't love him anymore and was on her way. Now he's in debt, broken hearted and regrets spoiling the woman.

I thought about my boyfriend and me. I can't imagine us splitting up, but shit happens. I could look as terrible as my friend's former gal pal. What's worse is that I would be taking advantage of a really sweet man.

Until him and I seal the deal, I'll need to take matters into my own hands.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time.

Time to take the first step of seven. I've opened a Jumpstart Tax-Free Savings Accounts to house my emergency fund.

I've accumulated a few points from my EnviroClassic Visa, and redeemed $150 to deposit into TFSA. (If I took it out for cash, it would only have amounted to $100.) And added $10 for good measure. ;)

I'll add $100 a month until the final sum becomes $1000. Then I'll focus 100% on student loans again.

Ta da!

You can check out my progress on the sidebar of this site.

0 comments:

newer post older post